Second to Christmas, Easter is a favourite time of year – because we just love to bake here at Wild Honey and it’s another excuse to produce the most decadent of Easter Cookie Treats. And this year we’re sharing our favourite receipt with you. Enjoy!
Easter Bunny Cookie Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Makes about 8 Bunnies
- 280g butter
- 2g salt
- 1 egg
- 100g sugar
- 375g flour
- Biscuit cutter of your favourite animal.
- We have used bunnies for Easter. About 8cm.
- In a bowl sift together flour and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until combined well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until mixture just forms a dough.
- Divide dough between 2 large sheets of wax paper and roll too .8cm thick. Chill until firm, at least 4 hours, Dough may be frozen, wrapped in foil, for 2 months. Let dough soften slightly before cutting. Preheat oven to 190°C. and lightly butter a baking sheet.
- Gently cut dough using bunny cutter and arrange about 2cm apart on baking sheet. Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven until golden around edges, 10 to 12 minutes, and transfer with a metal spatula to a rack to cool. Cookies may be kept in an airtight container at room temperature 5 days.
Royal Icing Recipe
- 1 egg white
- 200g icing sugar
- Juice half lemon
- 1g colouring of your choice
- Mix egg whites and lemon juice in electric mixer until fluffy but not whipped.
- Gradually add icing sugar on low speed until incorporated and the mixture is shiny.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, it should take around 5 minutes. Add colouring at this point.
- If using immediately place in piping bag, if not it can be stored in a sealed piping bag inside an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Create with your own designs with the kids to make them unique.