Here is our go to French Toast recipe for those who wish to give Mum a special breakfast made from the heart. It’s easy enough for the kids to help too.
Cooking Time: About 30 minutes all up
Skill Level: Easy/Medium
- 8 slices brioche (we of course use the Wild Honey one) cut 1.5” thick
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup cream (pouring cream)
- A few drops of good quality Vanilla Essence
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg or a few grates of nutmeg pod
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 180° C
- Prepare one large frying pan and take out butter from fridge
- Use a mixing bowl that is wide enough to fit the bread slices (a shallow wide rimmed bowl is best) then add the cracked eggs, milk, cream, vanilla essence, cinnamon & nutmeg and whisk with hand whisk until combined. No need to whisk too much.
- Soak each piece of brioche in the egg mixture turning the slices over once to soak both sides. take each piece our and let the excess egg wash
- Heat some of the butter in the firing pan and when the butter sizzles place two of the bread prices in the pan. Adjust the heat so it’s not too hot. Cook on each side until each piece is golden brown.
- Once cooked arrange slices on a baking tray and place in oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining pieces
- Once they are all finished you plate up two pieces as shown above on a lovely plate with some of the suggestions below.
Serving Suggestions for French Toast Recipe for Mother’s Day:
- Greek yoghurt sprinkled with brown sugar & served with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries.
- Greek yoghurt and fruit compote (for easy compote you can buy ready made one from Bonne Maman – peach or apricot are good choices or make a quick one with some frozen berries & castor sugar).
- Creme Fraiche with maple syrup & berries.
- Serve up the French Toast on a lovely tray with napkins, a flower or two, fresh squeezed juice or champagne if the mood strikes & Mum’s favourite coffee or tea with cup & saucer. She’ll be in heaven.
This recipe is a Wild Honey Signature dish. Enjoy!